Friday, October 9, 2009

I've been...

(This idea is shamelessly ripped off from Alexandra Silber's wonderful blog, but I hope she doesn't mind as it's a nifty way to sum things up)


Visiting my brother at uni in Nottingham (pictured). I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised. The campus is lovely and the city centre is gorgeous. It's easy to idealise a place when you only see the 'nice' parts, but there are some stunning buildings and everyone's really friendly. I have a feeling its not so positive reputation is very unfair.

A most interesting conversation with a very funny, charming couple on the train back. It's always heartening to see people who are so absolutely perfect for each other. They've been everywhere and have done everything (including a sky dive and bungee jump on the same day). They're about to embark on a trip to southern Africa, where they plan (amongst other things) to ride ostriches (apparently it isn't cruel...) and swim with sharks. Makes me realise I haven't lived at all...

Attending a frightfully dull wedding reception for Old Family Friend in Suburban Hell. My grandmother and her sister lived in this place (which I won't name in fear of offending anyone) in the 1920s, and my dad was on a mission to find the house (with amazingly specific directions from my 89 year old great aunt), but all the houses have since been replaced with mock Tudor atrocities with enormous drives to show off all their cars (many which have personalised license plates- the ultimate in vulgarity, IMO). There was one house with three four wheel drives in the driveway and heaven know how many more in the garage. There are no pavements or street lights as they assume that no one goes anywhere on foot. It's the kind of place I could imagine Just William being set in, only now the Botts have taken over everything. As for the not so marvellous party, the bride and groom seemed to enjoy it, which I suppose is the important thing. Why would anyone choose to have their wedding reception in a dingy sports club? I've never been so glad to see Marylebone (the prettiest station in London) in my life. I'd sooner put my head in an oven than go back there.

Feeling like Flora Poste of Cold Comfort Farm- expensively educated, but not qualified to do anything useful.

Getting a bit nervous about an interview of sorts at a very trendy, cutting-edge gallery next week. I'm probably going to be exposed as a fraud as I'm rather old fashioned and not trendy in the slightest. EDIT: Everything seemed to go fine and the people were really friendly and approachable, but it made realise that a commercial gallery really isn't for me. That's what these one-day placements are for...

At the American Embassy, and will hopefully receive my new American passport before long (I have dual nationality). There was bit of a panic over my non-existent social security number (involving a supremely rude woman determined to make everything as complicated as possible), which fortunately turned out to be a red herring. All going well, Chicago 2010 should be going ahead. For such a paranoid nation, I was amazed at how haphazard everything was. I had to swear my oath over a counter, it wasn't even in a private office.

Eating lots of Greek yogurt with maple syrup.

Attempting to learn the Korean alphabet. Watch this space...

Pleasantly surprised by the BBC's new adapation of Emma. I thought Romola Garai was very charming and winning as the eponymous heroine. I'll write about it in more detail when I've seen it all, but I'm cautiously optimistic and already like it better than last year's overwrought Sense and Sensibility and a million times more than ITV's ghastly Mansfield Park and Persuasion (I rather liked Northanger Abbey).

Reading some not so brilliant books, and some excellent ones too (more on that later).

Enjoying having Strictly Come Dancing back (a guilty pleasure- a bit early to choose favourites, but I loved Ali and Brian's quickstep- my favourite dance- last week). I find it quite amusing that Arlene Phillips has been turned into some kind of saint now that she's now longer on the show. If anyone should be a judge, it's Karen Hardy. An incredibly talented woman who really knows her stuff.

Wondering why Obama received the Nobel prize now. I'm a supporter, but it seems very premature.  Wouldn't it be better to wait to see if he delivers?

Looking forward to the Branching Out 3 festival at the Rosemary Branch starting next week. It should be a great blogging opportunity and a chance to sample all sorts of new and interesting things.

1 comment:

  1. Yes why isn't Karen the replacement judge? Aleesha is so painfully under qualified... I missed all the main program this week (clashes with a sporting event) but saw the dance off, I wonder why (oh gah her real name has gone from my brain, but woman who was in footballers wives and bad girls) didn't get much public support this week - they were clearly fantastic.

    ReplyDelete