Sunday, November 22, 2009

Women Unbound



Participants in this challenge are encouraged to read nonfiction and fiction books related to "women’s studies."

According to a Wikipedia entry, women's studies is an interdisciplinary academic field devoted to topics concerning women, feminism, gender, and politics. It often includes feminist theory, women's history, women's fiction, women's health, feminist art, feminist psychoanalysis, and the feminist and gender studies-influenced practice of most of the humanities and social sciences.

There are three levels for readers:
  • Philogynist: Read at least two books, including at least one nonfiction.
  • Bluestocking: Read at least five books, including at least two nonfiction.
  • Suffragette: Read at least eight books, including at least three nonfiction.

This is the first reading challenge I've decided to take part in- I've always been a little daunted about taking part in reading challenges in case I can't keep up (sometimes I read really fast, sometimes I'm terribly slow), but as this lasts for a year and I have plenty of books on my shelves that would be suitable, why not? These are the books I've chosen so far, but I'm sure more will turn up:

Fiction:
Lady Audley's Secret  by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (nearly finished this...)
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
The Crowded Street by Winifred Holtby
Fidelity by Susan Glaspell
Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

Non-fiction:
An Interrupted Life: The Diaries and Letters of Etty Hillesum by Etty Hillesum
The Wonderful Adventures of Mrs Seacole in Many Lands by Mary Seacole
Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire by Amanda Foreman

Has anyone read any of these? I'd love to hear your thoughts...

And yes, I absolutely consider myself a feminist. In fact, there are few things that irritate me more than the phrase, "I'm not a feminist, but..."

5 comments:

  1. Alias Grace is goooood, is she crazy, is she innocent or is she just a plain evil murderer? Very cool exploration of women and the justice system and there's some misguided old fashioned 'science' in there as well.

    Great non-fiction choices as well - my friend tells me 'Georgiana' is really good and I so want to read the book on 'Mary Seacole'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Alias Grace is a great novel.

    Persephones and Viragoes completely lend themselves to this challenge! I really enjoyed The Crowded Street although it did become a little ridiculous at one point.

    Love the new background - it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alias Grace is fantastic - I read it for the first time this year.
    Also the Georgiana biography is gripping and really well written. She had such an interesting life. Such a great list of books to get through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alias Grace is excellent! I read Fidelity recently and was also blown away by Susan Glaspell. I also listed the Etty Hillsum novel as part of my challenge. I haven't read it yet. You've got some great choices there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! I'm so pleased you declare yourself a feminist. I'm one too. Why isn't everybody? (I teach in higher education and I'm constantly amazed by how many of my students - male and female - are terrified of being 'branded' feminist.) This is a great list. I love Elizabeth Gaskell and I'm halfway through Alias Grace myself.

    ReplyDelete